Saturday, August 05, 2006

Kodanda Ramlayam in Tirupati.

Today I visited one of the oldest temples in the god's own city...Tirupati.
Yep I call this the god's own city. As there are lot of temples in and around this sacred town for hindus and each temple has lot of history.

The temple I visited is Kodanda Ramalayam.


This place has got some history. Once upon a time Jambavantha saw a cave in this place and observed some light glowing inside the cave. He asked Srirama about the light and Rama said its shows the presence of god. Later Jambavantha installed an idol of lord rama in the cave.

It was not noticed till SriKrishna devaraya's time. Srikrishna devaraya constructed a beautiful temple for lord Rama.

The following symbol (Raja mudrika: A pig and a knife is the rajamudrika for Srikrishna Devaraya) shows us the temple was infact constructed by SriKrishna Devaraya.


A wonderful place, clam and serene environment. I would suggest visitors to Tirupati to visit this temple as well. Opposite to this temple theres a Anjaneya swami temple. The road outside the temple leads to Alipiri...one straight road about 2 kms max. I guess this road is called SD Road.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AweSOME WORK Sriram garu .I have visited this temple number of times ,but did not know the history.

saaaaaa said...

I am a native of Tirupati. However, I din't know about this ancient temple's history. I agree with you that this temple has a very calm and serene atmosphere.